Thursday 7 January 2016

Netflix in Nigeria

At about 9:44pm 6th January 2015, in my sitting room doing what I usually do see whats trending on social media. I got an email with the picture above was so excited about Netflix finally in 9ja, then I remembered I work with irokoTv (shey no be say them go sack us like this sha...lol).



Few things then came to mind, we at iroko currently struggling to break the African market fully how will Netflix break this market? Data has always been the major issues with Africans (Nigeria to be precise sef) first question is from users will be So i should pay X amount to still use my hard earn data to watch movies...abeg i will buy 200 naira CD.... Another thing that came to mind Iroko has always focused on African content and i even remember Netflix partnering with Iroko to get African content so does this mean we have two separate entity?

So sharply I created account make me sef see as netflix be nah, after all this hype of #Netflixandchill trends abroad. I saw the starting price of $7.99 per month (iroko na just 500naira ooh). I could not help but notice that most of the series and movies i have seen way before as a result of copying from friends who have downloaded via torrents e.t.c. so whats not the hype....mcheeew

By this morning also Etisalat already has a plan for netflix @ 400Nnaira for 2hrs... this is really interesting but most movie pass 2hrs nah so hence you have to buy like 4 hours for 800 Naira. Is that still cheap enough?

My conclusion onlyy time will tell the direction for all of this. But one thing is certain that we are moving forward in Africa with Tech trends.

Oh and i just came across my CEO who just posted on his blog too about concerns of Netflix to irokotv see here.





No comments:

Post a Comment